Fall is in full swing and what better sweet treat to celebrate the season with than caramel apples for a sweet treat. I’m a huge caramel apple loving girl. I especially enjoy those apples covered in a layer of rich caramel and dipped in sweet confections and chopped nuts. Caramel apples are one of the best fall treats and being able to make them at home with homemade caramel is the absolute best! However, for these caramel apples I’m using purchased caramels as a time-saver.
Easy Caramel Dipped Apples for a Sweet Treat
What I used:
- Apples: My favorite apple to use for caramel apples is the tart apples like Granny Smiths which are a popular choice.
- Caramel: The main ingredient that gives the apple its sweet and sticky coating.
- Nuts: Chopped nuts like peanuts, almonds, and pecans are often used to add a crunchy texture to caramel apples. I used chopped pecans.
- Chocolate sprinkles & Colorful sprinkles were added to the caramel coating to give the apples a festive Halloween look in black, orange, and white.
- Apple Twigs for Skewers: To give my apples a bit of a poisonous appeal and a touch of whimsy, I used real cleaned apple branch twigs sharpened for skewers.
2. Next – Unwrap your caramels and place them into a saucepan.
3. Melt the caramels on low-medium heat, add 2 tbsp of water to the caramels and stir constantly until caramels are melted.
4. Skewer & Dip your washed and cleaned apples
5. Create caramel apples by dipping and/or rolling apples-on-a-stick in the hot caramel. Then roll them in nuts or other small savories or confections.
6. Place your dipped apple on parchment paper or on a muffin wrapper and allow them to cool. This is an easy sweet treat customized for speed and ease.
7. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to set the caramel and serve.
Nuts & Sweet Confections
Caramel apples are certainly a healthier snack than more traditional candy bars. Apples are a healthy source of fiber, but the added sugar from the caramel makes these caramel apples less ideal. Really, but for Halloween does it matter???
A Bewitching Appeal
Now that I have made my appeal for this savory treat…
Let’s eat caramel apples for a sweet treat! See how I made Spooky caramel apples here.