March 3, 2022
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? Yes, please! This past weekend I baked a batch up. A little something about them brings back more of those special memories of my sweet momma. I can remember her always making cookies when I was growing up and oatmeal raisin cookies were her specialty. Simple, charming, in the old fashion way. So easy to make!
Rich Cookie Goodness
My mom made her oatmeal cookies with raisins. I switched things up and used chocolate chips since
Mr. M is not a fan of raisins.
Made with old fashioned rolled oats. Soft and chewy and packed with rich chocolatey goodness.
Where Can You Find the Recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies?
There are recipes everywhere for oatmeal cookies. I just happened to find and use the recipe on the lid of the container of Quaker Oats.
What You Need
Gather a few pantry basics.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your preference.
- Brown Sugar – Packed
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips – I used Mini Semi-Sweet
- Oatmeal – You can use Quick oats which, I am told, bake quickly and offer a more delicate texture. I used rolled oats. They are also ideal for baking if you want to add a chewy texture. They are interchangeable with old fashioned oats which have a hearty, earthier texture.
- Flour – All purpose.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda gives these cookies their rise.
- Salt – optional
How To Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a parchment lined cookie sheet or an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Combine – In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Add – eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Combine Dry Ingredients – Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well.
- Add Mix-Ins – Add oats and chocolate chips; mix until well combined.
- Drop – dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Using an ice cream scoop will create even sized cookies.
- Bake – 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all – purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- 3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- 3. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- 4. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well.
- 5. Add oats and chocolate chips/raisins, mix well.
- 6. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- 7. Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.